Chicago Academic Medicine Program (CAMP) is a six-week commuter program for undergraduate students who have completed the freshman or sophomore year in college, or who are graduating from high school in the spring of 2015 and have been accepted into college in the fall of 2015. The program seeks students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who represent groups that are known to be underrepresented in health related sciences and medicine. CAMP helps students build the knowledge base and academic skills necessary for success in a premedical program. CAMP is the first track of a two-track program, along with CAMP II. Participants who successfully complete all requirements of the CAMP program will be invited to return to participate in CAMP II in the summer of 2016.
Taught in a mini-medical school format, the CAMP program features:
- Group learning and team building projects
- Interactive lectures with University of Chicago faculty
- Clinical shadowing opportunities with physician mentors
- Engagement in service with local community organizations
- Pre-medical advising and mentoring
- Electronic Application Deadline: Friday, February 27, 2015
- Transcript Deadline: Friday, March 6, 2015
- Program Dates: Monday, June 15, 2015-Friday, July 24, 2015
- Contact: The Pritzker School of Medicine Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Phone number: 773-702-8946
- Email address: The Pritzker School of Medicine Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Location: Chicago, IL (Hyde Park campus)
- When to attend: Following freshman or sophomore year of college, or the summer following your high school graduation.
- Prerequisites: Prior participation in a pre-medical training or science research program is a pre-requisite for this program.
- Academic credit: Not provided.
- Stipend and distribution schedule: A $2,400 stipend is provided to program participants. The stipend will be distributed in 2 installments at the beginning and end of the program.
- Daily transportation: Participants are expected to provide own transportation to campus Monday-Friday for duration of the program.
- Health Insurance: Not provided. Students must submit proof of health insurance for participation.
Our electronic application system requires that you complete the application in one sitting. Therefore, we recommend you print this paper copy of our application to ensure that you are prepared enough to complete the electronic application in one session.
Application deadline is Friday, February 27, 2015. A completed application is required to be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. CST on Friday, February 27, 2015.
A completed application includes the following:
- Submitted and completed online application (to access the online application form, please click the application link above).
- Letters of evaluation are required to be sent directly from the writers on organization letterhead. You are required to submit two letters of evaluation from individuals familiar with your interest in medicine or clinical research.
- Official transcripts from your undergraduate or high school institutions. Preference for undergraduate transcripts if available. Official transcripts must be sent directly by your college, university or high school and must be received no later than Friday, March 6, 2015.
- You may mail official transcripts to the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine-Office of Multicultural Affairs, 924 East 57th Street, Suite 104, Chicago, IL 60637. You can also have electronic versions of your official transcripts sent to us at PSM-Multicultural@bsd.uchicago.edu.
- Participants in CAMP will need to reside locally in Chicago during the program. Housing is not provided. As a result, you must disclose your local address and contacts within your completed application.