CAMP II is an eight-week commuter program where students learn to conduct primary research in a laboratory with a University of Chicago faculty mentor. Participants will be selected either following successful completion of CAMP I or through previous participation in a similar summer pre-medical training program. Students will gain a fundamental understanding of the ethics of research, the basics of biostatistics, and the conduct of biomedical research. CAMP II also provides an enhanced focus on medical school application processes to support future success. Participants will engage in MCAT preparation coursework and re-visit the elements of personal statement writing and interviewing skills. This experience is available to a cohort of participants who are underrepresented in the medical education community. CAMP I will not be offered in 2014, but will return in the summer of 2015.
- Application Deadline: Monday, March 3, 2014
- Application Decisions Sent: Friday, March 21, 2014
- Acceptance Offer Deadline: Friday, April 4, 2014
- Program Dates: Monday, June 16, 2014-Friday, August 8, 2014
- Contact: Nikki Oliver c/o the Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Phone number: 773-702-8946
- Email address: The Pritzker School of Medicine Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Location: Chicago, IL (Hyde Park campus)
- When to attend: Following freshman or sophomore year of college.
- Prerequisites: Prior participation in a pre-medical training or clinical research program is a pre-requisite for this program.
- Academic credit: Not provided.
- Stipend and distribution schedule: A competitive stipend is provided to program participants. The stipend will be distributed in 2 installments; the beginning and end of the program.
- Daily transportation: Participants are expected to provide own transportation to campus Monday-Friday for duration of the program.
- Health Insurance: Not provided- students must submit proof of health insurance for participation.
Application deadline is Monday, February 24, 2014. A completed application is required to be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. CST on Monday, February 24.
A completed application includes the following:
- Submitted and completed online application (to access the online application form, please click the application link above).
- Letters of evaluation are required to be sent directly from the writers on organization letterhead. You may choose between the following for letters of evaluation:
- Submit two letters of evaluation from individuals familiar with your interest in medicine or clinical research.
- Submit a composite letter from a Career Counseling Center or Health Professions Advising Office at your undergraduate campus.
- Official transcripts from your undergraduate and high school institutions. Transcripts must be sent directly by your college, university or high school.
- You may mail transcripts and letters to the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine-Office of Multicultural Affairs, 924 East 57th Street, Suite 104, Chicago, IL 60637.