The Chicago Academic Medicine Program (CAMP) is a 6-week summer program for undergraduate students who have completed the freshman or sophomore year in college, or who are graduating from high school in spring of 2013 and have been accepted into college.
The Pritzker School of Medicine Office of Multicultural Affairs developed CAMP to help multicultural and disadvantaged students build the knowledge base and academic skills necessary for success in a premedical program. Taught in an interactive, mini-medical school format, the program features:
- Group-learning and team-building projects
- Interactive lectures on 3 major organ systems
- Clinical shadowing opportunities with physician mentors
- Pre-medical advising and mentoring sessions
- Social events with Pritzker students, faculty, and staff
- $1000 stipend
The 2013 CAMP is a non-residential, tuition-free program. Program participants must commute five days a week to the University of Chicago campus. Participants will receive Chicago Transit Authority bus passes to defray in-town transportation expenses associated with the program. Parking is available on the street (if you come early enough—Midway Plaisance is a good place to start) or in the parking lots around campus. You may contact the Parking Office at 773-702-4381 for monthly rates. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide student discounts for parking.
All lectures take place at the Pritzker School of Medicine. Students will be selected locally or must have a local residence for the duration of this commuter program. The $1000 stipend is provided to assist with the student's summer earnings. Students are not permitted to work part-time jobs or take any additional classes during the program because there is considerable out-of-class work to prepare.
Dates & Logistics
- Application Deadline: Monday, March 4, 2013
- Application Decisions Sent: Friday, March 22, 2013
- Acceptance Offer Deadline: Friday, March 29, 2013
- Orientation Session: Monday, June 17, 2013
- Closing Ceremony: Friday, July 26, 2013
- Program Dates: Monday, June 17, 2013 - Friday, July 26, 2013
- Program Times: Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm
We are no longer accepting applications for the Summer 2013 Chicago Academic Medicine Program (CAMP). Please check back in mid-December for more information regarding Summer 2014.
If you have questions regarding the Summer Pipeline Programs, please contact Nikki Oliver.