The Pritzker School of Medicine Experience in Research (PSOMER) program is an 8-week research, education, and mentoring experience with University of Chicago faculty. PSOMER is open to college students who are rising juniors and seniors graduating after January 1, 2013. Applicants must be US citizens or have Permanent Resident status. The program seeks high achieving students from disadvantaged backgrounds, African American/Black, Hispanic, American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian or other groups that have shown to be underrepresented in the health related sciences and medicine. The projects will range from basic science laboratory to clinical research projects. Highlights of the program include:
- Weekly research colloquium
- Research presentation at the end of the program
- Weekly seminars on subjects ranging from health care disparities to applying to medical school
- Advising sessions with Pritzker admissions officers
- Informal and social events with Pritzker medical students
- $3,200 stipend to cover the cost of room and board and provide summer earnings
Participants will live on the campus of the University of Chicago for the 8-week experience in order to foster the same sense of community and cooperative learning that exists among our medical students. They will formally and informally meet with and be mentored by medical students, socialize with them, and have a live-in MD or MD-PhD student resident assistant.
The Pritzker School of Medicine is committed to building a diverse physician workforce and greater cultural competency among its students; therefore individuals of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Students are not permitted to work part-time jobs or take any additional classes during the program because there will be considerable lab work to perform and out-of-class work to prepare.
Dates & Logistics
- Application Deadline: Monday, February 25, 2013
- Application Decisions Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013
- Acceptance Offer Deadline: Friday, March 22, 2013
- Program Dates: Monday, June 17, 2013 – Friday, August 9, 2013
- Brief Schedule:
Move-In to Dorm Room – Monday, June 17, 2013
Welcome Dinner – Monday, June 17, 2013
Orientation Session – Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Final Research Forum – Friday, August 9, 2013
All participants will be housed in a double room at the University of Chicago Max Palevsky Dormitory. Housing is provided free to participants and on campus residency is a requirement.
A travel grant up to $500 is available to assist with transportation to and from the program, and public transportation passes will be provided to participants to encourage exploration of Chicago.
We are no longer accepting applications for the Summer 2013 PSOMER program. Please check back in mid-December for more information regarding Summer 2014.