Young Scientists Training Program
The Young Scientists Training Program (YSTP) is an eight-week summer program for up to 10 outstanding minority high school students to gain experience in research, medicine, and the biological sciences. Applicants must be US citizens or have Permanent Resident status. The program seeks high achieving students from disadvantaged backgrounds, African American/Black, Hispanic, American Indian, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian or other groups that have been shown to be underrepresented in the health related sciences and medicine. Participants will be selected locally or must have a local residence for the duration of this commuter program. Students are not permitted to work part-time jobs or take any additional classes during the program as there is considerable lab work to perform and out-of-class work to prepare.
Students work in the laboratories of University of Chicago faculty where they learn skills with successful mentors in basic science and clinical research. Students will have the opportunity to learn techniques of scientific analysis under the guidance of UChicago faculty, fellows, MD and PhD students. They will also participate in a UChicago symposium at the end of the summer where they present their research findings. Highlights of the program include:
- Weekly research cluster group meetings led by UC faculty and medical students
- Attend and present at a national research symposium
- Attend special lectures and presentations with other summer program participants
- $1500 stipend, lab coat, and materials
- Social events with Pritzker students, faculty, and staff
YSTP is a non-residential, tuition free program. Program participants must commute five days a week to the University of Chicago campus. Participants will receive Chicago Transit Authority Bus passes to defray in-town transportation expenses associated with the program.
Dates & Logistics
- Application Deadline: Monday, March 11, 2013
- Application Decisions Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013
- Acceptance Offer Deadline: Monday, April 8, 2013
- Orientation Session: Tuesday, June 25, 2013
- Final Research Forum: Friday, August 16, 2013 (tentative)
- Program Dates: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 - Tuesday, August 20, 2013 (CPS last day of class 6/24/13)
We are no longer accepting applications for the Summer 2013 Young Scientists Training Program (YSTP). Please check back in mid-December for more information regarding Summer 2014.
If you have questions regarding the Summer Pipeline Programs, please contact Nikki Oliver.