A fourth year student may spend a maximum of three months during the fourth year on off-campus rotations. Students choose to do away rotations as a way to learn more about a particular program or specialty. Most programs do not require fourth year off campus rotations, however, some specialties expect medical students students to participate in away rotations prior to applying for residency. These specialties include: Cardiothoracic Surgery, Dermatology, Emergency Medicine, Neurosurgery, Obstetrics-Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedic Surgery, Otolaryngology, Pathology, Plastic Surgery, PMR, Radiation Oncology, Urology, and Vascular Surgery. Away rotations should not be taken lightly. Prior to applying for away rotations, students should discuss their options with their career advisor.
Application Materials Needed
Application deadlines vary by medical school/medical center but generally begin in February and end in April.
These are items confirmed by Maureen Okonski for VSAS applications:
- This student is in good academic standing at this institution.
- This student has been instructed in OSHA safety measures and infection control precautions.
- This student has a current BLS.
- This student has completed a Mask Fit Test.
- This student is taking electives for credit.
- This student will pay tuition at the home school during the period indicated.
- Medical liability and/or malpractice insurance will be covered by the home school during this elective time ($1M, $3M).
- We require our student to hold personal health insurance.
- This student will have successfully completed these core clerkships by the dates listed.
- This student will be in his/her senior year at the time of the elective(s).
- This student is expected to graduate in June (Year).
- This student has met all immunization requirements or student health requirements as defined by our school.
- This student has complied with HIPAA training requirements.
- This student has completed a criminal background check at our institution.
- This student has passed USMLE Step 1.
Applications vary by each school or program, but in general students will need the following:
- Curriculum Vitae (Sample CV; you may email Rebecca Silverman for proofreading)
- Photo (email Jill Kelly if you would like to use your photo from the UC ID)
- Letter of recommendation from faculty (sometimes required)
- Transcripts: for VSAS, send an email request to Maureen Okonski; for other applications request through my.uchicago.edu
- Certified immunization forms: bring forms to Student Health Service. Maureen Okonski or Jill Kelly can assist to scan and upload into VSAS if needed.
- Updated Mask Fit: please contact Student Health Service.
- Updated BLS: please contact the student run BLS training program by emailing Melany Lopez or Cheyenne Smith.
Away Rotations & Credits
The Associate Dean for Medical School Education approves all off-campus rotations and assigns credits. This process must be done BEFORE you begin the rotation:
- Submit an Off-Campus Rotation Application with supporting documentation before the rotation begins to Jill Kelly. Make entries directly into form and then print. Do not print and fill out manually.
- Students will be informed by e-mail about disposition of application and number of credit units awarded.
- Upon approval, forward the Institutional Evaluation Form to the person evaluating your performance during the off-campus rotation.
- Complete post-rotation evaluation.