Chicago Academic Medicine Program (CAMP) I is a six-week commuter program for undergraduate students who have completed the freshman or sophomore year in college, or who are graduating from high school in the spring of 2018 and have been accepted into college in the fall of 2018. CAMP helps students build the knowledge base and academic skills necessary for success in a premedical program.
CAMP I is no longer accepting applications for Summer 2018
The program seeks students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who represent groups that are known to be underrepresented in health related sciences and medicine.
Taught in a mini-medical school format, the CAMP program features:
- Group learning and team building projects
- Interactive lectures with University of Chicago faculty
- Clinical shadowing opportunities with physician mentors
- Engagement in service with local community organizations
- Pre-medical advising and mentoring
- Application opens: Wednesday, November 14, 2018
- Electronic Application Deadline: Friday, January 18, 2019
- Program Dates: Monday, June 17, 2019 - Friday, July 26, 2019
- Location: Chicago, IL (HydePark campus)
- When to attend: Following freshman or sophomore year of college, or the summer following your high school graduation.
- Prerequisites: Prior participation or demonstrated deep interest in a pre-medical training or science research program is a pre-requisite for this program.
- Academic credit: Not provided.
- Daily transportation: We will provide a Ventra card with $150 credit on the first day of the program to access CTA. The University provides free daytime shuttle service around the campus areas and portions of the neighboring communities. To ride shuttles, all passengers must present their UChicago Medical Center ID.
- Health Insurance: Not provided. Students must submit proof of health insurance for participation.
- Stipend: Students who successfull matriculate and complete the program will receive a total stipend of $2,400.
- Housing: Not provided for CAMP I or CAMP II students. Students are expected to secure their own housing and should report their summer address to Nikki Oliver (Office of Multicultural Affairs)
- Contact: The Pritzker School of Medicine Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Phone number: 773-702-8946
- Walter Parrish, Director of Multicultural Affairs
Participating in CAMP was one of the most defining moments of my pre-medical education. I had the wonderful opportunity to be mentored by medical students and physicians that genuinely wanted me to succeed. I have vivid memories of the times spent shadowing in the hospital with my fellow CAMP students. These experiences are key components of the foundation that I will continue to build upon throughout my career.
Vince Morgan (Far left, with classmates at the White Coat Ceremony)
The application portal will open on Wednesday, November 14, 2018.
A completed application includes the following:
- Submitted and completed online application (to access the online application, please follow the steps above).
- Recommendations from Evaluators: As you complete the program, you will be required to submit the name, university email, phone number, and institution name for at least two (2) and no more than three (3) individuals familiar with your interest in medicine or clinical research
- Official transcripts from your undergraduate or high school institutions. Preference for undergraduate transcripts, if available. Official transcripts must be sent directly by your college, university or high school upon request.
- Participants in CAMP will need to reside locally in Chicago during the program. Housing is not provided. As a result, you must disclose your local address and contacts within your completed application.