Chicago Academic Medicine Program (CAMP) is a six-week commuter program for undergraduate students who have completed the freshman or sophomore year in college, or who are graduating from high school in the spring of 2017 and have been accepted into college in the fall of 2017. The program seeks students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who represent groups that are known to be underrepresented in health related sciences and medicine. CAMP helps students build the knowledge base and academic skills necessary for success in a premedical program.
Taught in a mini-medical school format, the CAMP program features:
- Group learning and team building projects
- Interactive lectures with University of Chicago faculty
- Clinical shadowing opportunities with physician mentors
- Engagement in service with local community organizations
- Pre-medical advising and mentoring
Vince's UChicago Experience
Participating in CAMP was one of the most defining moments of my pre-medical education. I had the wonderful opportunity to be mentored by medical students and physicians that genuinely wanted me to succeed. I have vivid memories of the times spent shadowing in the hospital with my fellow CAMP students. These experiences are key components of the foundation that I will continue to build upon throughout my career.
Vince Morgan (Far left, with classmates at the White Coat Ceremony)
- Electronic Application Deadline: Friday, Januray 13, 2017
- Program Dates: Monday, June 19, 2017 - Friday, July 28, 2017
- Contact: The Pritzker School of Medicine Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Phone number: 773-702-8946
- Nikki Oliver
- Location: Chicago, IL (HydePark campus)
- When to attend: Following freshman or sophomore year of college, or the summer following your high school graduation.
- Prerequisites: Prior participation or demonstrated deep interest in a pre-medical training or science research program is a pre-requisite for this program.
- Academic credit: Not provided.
- Daily transportation: Participants are expected to provide own transportation to campus Monday-Friday for duration of the program.
- Health Insurance: Not provided. Students must submit proof of health insurance for participation.
To apply to CAMP follow the steps below:
- Go to https://uchicago.advisestream.com/signup
- Enter the requested information, including the CAMP access token CAMP: 7aa87a65c455819df9662e468dd20fc4
- Look for an email from AdviseStream with a temporary password.
- Once you log in, access your application to CAMP from your main dashboard under “Apply > Opportunities.”
For more details on navigating the application, please view the Applicant Guide.
Current University of Chicago Students and Alumni:
- Go to https://uchicago.advisestream.com
- Sign in using your CNetID
A completed application includes the following:
- Submitted and completed online application (to access the online application, please follow the steps above).
- Letters of evaluation are required to be sent directly from the writers on organization letterhead. You are required to submit two letters of evaluation from individuals familiar with your interest in medicine or clinical research.
- Official transcripts from your undergraduate or high school institutions. Preference for undergraduate transcripts if available. Official transcripts must be sent directly by your college, university or high school upon request.
- Participants in CAMP will need to reside locally in Chicago during the program. Housing is not provided. As a result, you must disclose your local address and contacts within your completed application.