Prtizker School of Medicine Experience in Research (PSOMER) is an eight-week residential research, education, and mentoring experience at the University of Chicago. Participants in the program are rising college seniors or students rising into a post baccalaureate program.
Applicants must be US citizens or have Permanent Resident status. The program seeks students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who represent groups that are known to be underrepresented in health related sciences and medicine.
Due to the nature of the NIH grant that supports PSOMER, participants cannot be appointed to another NIH training award (such as a T32 or an individual F series fellowship) or supported by a federal research grant during the program period.
Students will participate in either basic science laboratories or clinical research projects throughout the duration of the program. The program concludes with a mandatory research presentation forum at the end of the summer. Weekly cluster groups will support the laboratory research work of each participant. These groups will explore medical and research ethics, health care disparities, statistics and research tools. Students will also receive mentorship and guidance from Pritzker Medical School students and staff. This includes advising sessions with Pritzker admissions officers and social events with Pritzker andUniversity of Chicago summer research program students.
Participants will live on campus at the University of Chicago for the 8 week experience in order to foster the same sense of community and cooperative learning that exists among our medical school students. Participants will not be permitted to work part-time jobs, take any additional classes during the program, or be involved in any formal or informal MCAT or application preparation process for medical school during the program. There will be considerable lab work to conduct and out-of-lab/classwork to prepare.
- Application Opens: Wednesday, November 14, 2018
- Application Deadline: Friday, January 18, 2019
- Program Dates: Monday, June 10, 2019 - Friday, August 2, 2019
- The Pritzker School of Medicine-Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Phone number: 773-702-8946
- Walter Parrish, Director of Multicultural Affairs
- Location: Chicago, IL(Hyde Park campus)
- When to attend: Following junior or senior year of college
- Research experience: Participation in basic science or clinical research programs, experiences or coursework is a pre-requisite for this program.
- Academic credit: Not provided
- Stipend: Students who successfull matriculate and complete the program will receive a total stipend of $3,200. Each PSOMER student will also be provided with Maroon Dollars for food/drink at locations throughout our campus.
- Housing: Students will be housed at Max Palevsky Residential Commons for the duration of the program.
- Health Insurance: Not provided: students must submit proof of health insurance for participation.
The application portal will open on Wednesday, November 14, 2018.
A completed application includes the following:
- Submitted and completed online application (to access the online application, please follow the steps above).
Letters of evaluation are required to be sent directly from the writers on organization letterhead. As you complete the application, you will be required to submit the name, university email, phone number, and institution name for at least two (2) and no more than three (3) individuals.
- Submit two letters of evaluation from individuals familiar with your interest in medicine or clinical research.
- Official transcripts from your undergraduate institutions. Transcripts must be sent directly by your college or university, upon request.