The University of Chicago is home to the Illinois Beta Chapter of Alpha Omega Alpha, the national medical honor society. Election to the chapter occurs at the beginning of Pritzker students’ fourth year.
To ensure that the selection of students to AΩA is fair and inclusive, a committee, appointed by the Dean for Medical Education, uses a holistic review process to identify the top quartile of the class, who are considered AΩA -eligible. From the eligible group, 1/6 of the class is then selected for membership in AΩA. The AΩA constitution calls on the committee to consider not only scholastic achievement but also capacity for leadership, professionalism, a strong sense of ethics, and a commitment to service in the school and community, along with outstanding achievement in research. The selection of AΩA eligible students is based on three criteria:
- Clerkship performance, as determined by clerkship grades;
- Peer assessment, as determined by an end-of-academic-year survey in which MS3 students are asked anonymously to nominate their peers with whom they have worked hard during clinical rotations who have excelled in mastery of the subject material, leadership capabilities, ethical standards, fairness in dealing with colleagues, demonstrated professionalism, and potential for achievement in medicine (to be deployed in future years);
- Research, volunteerism, and institutional activities.
The process by which students are selected for AΩA is reviewed at least every other year to track progress towards achieving fair and unbiased selection.
Faculty/Resident & Fellow/Alumni Criteria
Once elected, ΑΩΑ Students confer ΑΩΑ membership onto selected alumni, faculty and residents. They select these members based on the following criteria:
- Resident & Fellow Membership: elected based on continued achievement, promise and leadership qualities;
- Alumni: eligible ten years or more following graduation and judged on the basis of their achievement to date;
- Faculty: elected based on their demonstrated commitment to scholarly excellence and medical education;
- ΑΩΑ Inductees also bestow the annual Volunteer Clinical Faculty Award to recognize a community physician who contributes with distinction to the education and training of clincal students.
For more information, visit the National ΑΩΑ Website.
2018-19 University of Chicago Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society Inductees
|Anya Bershad, PhD||Kate Leonard|
|Riley Brian||Suellen Li|
|Michael Fishman||Cheyenne Smith|
|Emily Foltz||Jared Sokol|
|Natalie Francis||Alex Spacht|
|Palmer Greene||Nora Taranto|
|Michael Harries, MAT||Cindy Zhang|
|Matthew Jones, DPhil|
2018-19 Faculty/Resident & Fellow/Alumni Membership
Faculty, Residents, Fellows, and Alumni membership to Pritzker's Alpha Omega Alpha chapter are decided upon by the Class of 2019 AΩA student inductees.
Volunteer Clinical Faculty