Chicago Academic Medicine Program (CAMP) II is an eight-week research, education, and mentoring experience for students who have completed their sophomore or junior year in college. Students participate in either basic science or clinical research projects during the program, which concludes with a research presentation forum.
CAMP II is no longer accepting applications for Summer 2018
The program seeks students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who represent groups that are known to be underrepresented in health related sciences and medicine. Additionally, students previously in CAMP I who wish to participate in CAMP II must submit an application, and admission is not guaranteed.
Taught in a mini-medical school format, the CAMP II program features:
- Mentor relationships with faculty and clinical lab staff
- Weekly cluster group meetings
- Research and presentation guidance
- Pre-medical advising and mentoring (including MCAT preparation)
- Application opens: Wednesday, November 15, 2017
- Electronic Application Deadline: Friday, January 26, 2018
- Program Dates: Monday, June 11, 2018 - Friday, August 3, 2018
- Location: Chicago, IL (HydePark campus)
- When to attend: Following freshman or sophomore year of college, or the summer following your high school graduation.
- Prerequisites: Prior participation or demonstrated deep interest in a pre-medical training or science research program is a pre-requisite for this program.
- Academic credit: Not provided.
- Daily transportation: We will provide a Ventra card with $150 credit on the first day of the program to access CTA. The University provides free daytime shuttle service around the campus areas and portions of the neighboring communities. To ride shuttles, all passengers must present their UChicago Medical Center ID.
- Health Insurance: Not provided. Students must submit proof of health insurance for participation.
- Stipend: Students who successfull matriculate and complete the program will receive a total stipend of $2,400.
- Housing: Not provided for CAMP I or CAMP II students. Students are expected to secure their own housing and should report their summer address to Nikki Oliver (Office of Multicultural Affairs)
- Contact: The Pritzker School of Medicine Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Phone number: 773-702-8946
- Walter Parrish, Director of Multicultural Affairs
I was lucky enough to be under the mentorship of Dr. Vela through CAMP II - this summer research program transformed my entire undergraduate experience and is what initially drew me to Pritzker.
Anase Asom (current Pritzker MS1)
- Open your web browser and disable the pop-up blocker
- Go to https://uchicago.advisestream.com/signup.
- Current UChicago students and alumni should go to go to https://uchicago.advisestream.com and sign in with their CNetID
- Enter the requested information, including the CAMP II access token: CAMP II is no longer accepting applications for Summer 2018
- Look for an email from AdviseStream with a temporary password.
- Once you log in, access your application to CAMP II from your main dashboard under “Apply > Opportunities.”
Application Deadline: Friday, January 26, 2018
For more details on navigating the application, please view the Applicant Guide.
A completed application includes the following:
- Submitted and completed online application (to access the online application, please follow the steps above).
- Recommendations from Evaluators: As you complete the program, you will be required to submit the name, university email, phone number, and institution name for at least two (2) and no more than three (3) individuals familiar with your interest in medicine or clinical research
- Official transcripts from your undergraduate or high school institutions. Preference for undergraduate transcripts, if available. Official transcripts must be sent directly by your college, university or high school upon request.
- Participants in CAMP II will need to reside locally in Chicago during the program. Housing is not provided. As a result, you must disclose your local address and contacts within your completed application.