2018-2019 Clerkship Catalog available as of April 2, 2018
The Minority Visiting Clerkship Program (MVCP) is co-sponsored by the University of Chicago Committee on Diversity and Inclusion, and the Departments of Medicine, Pediatrics and Surgery as a supplement to our regular Visiting Clerkship Program. This competitive program provides mentoring, networking, and stipend support for fourth-year students participating in the Visiting Clerkship Program. Successful candidates will advance our diversity and inclusion mission at the Medical School and become prospects for academic training programs for internship and residency at the University of Chicago Medicine. More information about diversity and inclusion at University of Chicago Medicine is available here:
- Office of Multicultural Affairs
University of Chicago Medicine is a nationally recognized academic center offering cutting edge clinical care to communities on the south side of Chicago as well as to patients referred from regional and national sources. University of Chicago Medicine is located in one of Chicago’s most diverse communities, Hyde Park.
As with all visiting students, eligible participants must be full-time, fourth year medical students in good standing at LCME-accredited US medical schools; third-year students who have completed their core clerkships in medicine, surgery, pediatrics, and obstetrics are also eligible to apply.
Mentoring and Networking
Short-term housing may be available to accommodate qualified students while they are at the University. Applicants who qualify include medical students from another city doing a medical rotation at University of Chicago Medicine for a month. More information about this short-term housing resource, visit here.
- Endocrine surgery
- Minimally-Invasive Surgery
- Breast Surgery
- Surgical Oncology/Hepatobiliary
- Colorectal Surgery
- Infectious Disease
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Inpatient Hematology/Oncology
- Cardiology Consults
- Clinical Dermatology
- Endocrinology Consults
- Clinical Gastroenterology
- Hematology Oncology Consults
- Infectious Disease Consults
- Nephrology Consults
- Pulmonary Consults
- Rheumatology Outpatient Consults
- Emergency Medicine Clerkship
Program Length & Rotation Dates.
Clerkships are four to five weeks in length, or for a full calendar month. The clerkship academic year runs from July 1 through June 30, annually. Most clinical electives begin on the first weekday of each month.
Requirements & Application
This is initiative is aimed at fourth-year medical students who have been traditionally underrepresented in U.S. medical schools (i.e., Black/African American, Latinx, or Native American).
- Applicants must submit all required items through VSAS in addition to completing the MVCP student application.
- The MVCP application should be uploaded into VSAS and assigned to University of Chicago. You must apply for the MVCP 99000 Minority VIsiting Clerkship Program Elective, in addition to the elective you are requesting.
- Do not forget to upload your Step1 Score.
- The completed VSAS and MVCP application should be submitted at least three months prior to the desired rotation.
- Students must apply to electives at least 37 days prior to their requested rotation date.
The VSAS application requires the following:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Immunization Form
- Scholarship Clerkship Application Form
- USMLE Step I Scores
For questions about the program, please contact the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine at firstname.lastname@example.org.