The goal of the required clerkships is to expose students to the wide range of clinical activities associated with each discipline. Students master core competencies unique to each clerkship as well as general communication and professionalism competencies that are observed in all. The majority of the inpatient experiences take place at the University of Chicago Medicine or NorthShore University HealthSystem's Evanston Hospital Campus (with the exception of Family Medicine, which is located at MacNeal Hospital in a nearby suburb). Outpatient experiences can be in a variety of clinics around the Chicagoland area, but tend to be concentrated in the University of Chicago outpatient clinics.
Third Year Clerkships
Fourth Year Clerkships
The Foundations in Clinical Medicine (FICM) elective course is a seven day immersive experience designed to prepare second year students for the transition into the third year. The course uses lecture, small group discussion, and hands-on practice to expose students to data interpretation, clinical procedures, and case presentations in preparation for the clerkship experience.
The Introduction to the Clinical Biennium is a three-day event which trains rising third year students in the hands-on skills that they will need as they complete the required clerkships throughout their third and fourth years of medical school.
Professionalism in Medicine
Funding for Off-Site Clerkship Travel
If you drive your car to an off-site clinic for one of the required third-year clerkships, you are eligible for "Private Car Mileage" reimbursement. In order to be reimbursed for off-site clerkship travel, please submit an email entitled "Clerkship Travel Reimbursement" to email@example.com within 30 days of the end of your clerkship. The email should include:
- Your name
- Student ID #
- Zip Code
- Clerkship (ex: Pediatrics)
- Location (ex: Streeterville Pediatrics, 233 E. Erie St., Chicago, IL 60611)
- Dates of Rotation (ex: 09/23/16 - 11/01/16)
- List the dates that you drove with corresponding miles (ex: "March 21, 2016: 12 miles roundtrip;" if you traveled to multiple destinations, please indiate those destinations with your mileage)
- Include a Google Maps link showing general destinations and milage
- * For Example: Home (BSLC: 924 East 57th Street, Chicago, IL 60637) to NorthShore (2650 Ridge Ave., Evanston, IL 60201) & back to Home
We will reimburse for tolls, CTA/Metra, but we do not reimburse for parking or cabs.
We will contact you when your check is available for pick-up in BSLC Suite 104.
Early Morning Transportation Pilot - Uber/Lyft
For students who live on or near the Hyde Park campus who would typically be able to use University offered/funded/subsidized transportation at other times of day, we are now offering an additional subsidized option.
The program is designed to subsidize Uber or Lyft expenses for students in the Hyde Park/Kenwood neighborhoods who choose to use these ride hailing services to travel to the University of Chicago Medical Center (UCMC) prior to 7:00am.
- At this time, the program is only available to MS3 students who are required to be at UCMC before 7:00am as part of their required Surgery, Ob/Gyn, Pediatric & Internal Medicine rotations at UCMC.
- Students will be reimbursed 50% of the cost of using a ride-hailing app (Uber or Lyft) to go from home to UCMC before 7:00am.
- The program is valid for transportation in Kenwood and Hyde Park. (You will not be reimbursed for Uber/Lyft from South Loop or other parts of the city).
- In order to be reimbursed, you must submit a single PDF of all Uber/Lyft receipts to firstname.lastname@example.org at the end of your clerkship.
- You will be contacted when your check is available to be picked up in BSLC 104.
Please send the following within 30 days of the end of your required Surgery, Ob/Gyn, Pediatric, or Internal Medicine clerkship rotations at UCMC.
1. Send an email to the Clerkship Travel Email Address: email@example.com
2. Subject Line: “Morning Transportation”
3. Include *all* of the following:
- Zip Code
- Rotation Dates
- List of dates with pick up time and location:
(ex:) November 1, 2016 5:50am 5201 S. Dorchester
November 2, 2016 5:28am 5201 S. Dorchester
November 6, 2016 5:35am 5201 S. Dorchester
4. Attach ONE PDF which includes all original receipts in date order (We will not reimburse credit card statements).
5. We will contact you when your check is available to be picked up in BSLC 104