Chicago Academic Medicine Program (CAMP) II is an eight-week research, education, and mentoring experience for students who have completed their sophomore or junior year in college. Students participate in either basic science or clinical research projects during the program, which concludes with a research presentation forum.
The application deadline for Summer 2019 has passed. Applications for next summer will be open in November.
The program seeks students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who represent groups that are known to be underrepresented in health related sciences and medicine. Additionally, students previously in CAMP I who wish to participate in CAMP II must submit an application, and admission is not guaranteed.
Taught in a mini-medical school format, the CAMP II program features:
- Mentor relationships with faculty and clinical lab staff
- Weekly cluster group meetings
- Research and presentation guidance
- Pre-medical advising and mentoring (including MCAT preparation)
- Application opens: Wednesday, November 14, 2018
- Electronic Application Deadline: Friday, January 18, 2019
- Program Dates: Monday, June 10, 2019- Friday, August 2, 2019
- Location: Chicago, IL (HydePark campus)
- When to attend: Following freshman or sophomore year of college, or the summer following your high school graduation.
- Prerequisites: Prior participation or demonstrated deep interest in a pre-medical training or science research program is a pre-requisite for this program.
- Academic credit: Not provided.
- Daily transportation: We will provide a Ventra card with $150 credit on the first day of the program to access CTA. The University provides free daytime shuttle service around the campus areas and portions of the neighboring communities. To ride shuttles, all passengers must present their UChicago Medical Center ID.
- Health Insurance: Not provided. Students must submit proof of health insurance for participation.
- Stipend: Students who successfull matriculate and complete the program will receive a total stipend of $2,400.
- Housing: Not provided for CAMP I or CAMP II students. Students are expected to secure their own housing and should report their summer address to Nikki Oliver (Office of Multicultural Affairs)
- Contact: The Pritzker School of Medicine Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Nikki Oliver, Multicultural Affairs Administrator
- Walter Parrish, Director of Multicultural Affairs
I was lucky enough to be under the mentorship of Dr. Vela through CAMP II - this summer research program transformed my entire undergraduate experience and is what initially drew me to Pritzker.
Anase Asom (current Pritzker MS1)
The application portal will open on Wednesday, November 14, 2018.
A completed application includes the following:
- Completed and submitted the online application below.
- Recommendations from Faculty / Mentors: After you complete the online application, you will be required to contact at least two (2) and no more than three (3) individuals familiar with your interest in medicine or clinical research to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. All letters must be on official school/organization letterhead and submitted to Nikki Oliver (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the deadline - January 18, 2019.
- Official transcripts: Upon request, official transcripts must be sent directly by your college or university.
- Participants in CAMP II will need to reside locally in Chicago during the program. Housing is not provided. As a result, you must disclose your local address and contacts within your completed application.