PSOMER is an eight-week residential research,education and mentoring experience at the University of Chicago. Participants in the program are rising college seniors or students rising into a post baccalaureate program. Applicants must be US citizens or have Permanent Resident status. The program seeks students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who represent groups that are known to be underrepresented in health related sciences and medicine.
Students will participate in either basic science laboratories or clinical research projects throughout the duration of the program. The program concludes with a mandatory research presentation forum at the end of the summer. Weekly cluster groups will support the laboratory research work of each participant. These groups will explore medical and research ethics, health care disparities, statistics and research tools. Students will also receive mentorship and guidance from Pritzker Medical School students and staff. This includes advising sessions with Pritzker admissions officers and social events with Pritzker andUniversity of Chicago summer research program students.
Participants will live on campus at the University of Chicago for the 8 week experience in order to foster thesame sense of community and cooperative learning that exists among our medical school students. Participants will not be permitted to work part-time jobs,take any additional classes during the program, or be involved in any formal or informal MCAT or application preparation process for medical school during the program. There will be considerable lab work to conduct and out-of-lab/classwork to prepare.
- Application Deadline: Friday, January 13, 2017
- Program Dates: Monday, June 12, 2017 - Friday, August 4, 2017
- The Pritzker School of Medicine-Office of Multicultural Affairs
- Phone number: 773-702-8946
- Nikki Oliver
- Location: Chicago, IL(Hyde Park campus)
- When to attend: Following junior or senior year of college
- Research experience: Participation in basic science or clinical research programs, experiences or coursework is a pre-requisite for this program.
- Academic credit: Not provided
- Housing: Students will be housed at Max Palevsky Residential Commons for the duration of the program.Students will also receive an allowance to partially subsidize meal expenses while on campus.
- Health Insurance: Not provided: students must submit proof of health insurance for participation.
To apply to PSOMER follow the steps below:
- Go to https://uchicago.advisestream.com/signup
- Enter the requested information, including the PSOMER access token PSOMER: f4ddf24e61816141d584edc1b09488c2
- Look for an email from AdviseStream with a temporary password.
- Once you log in, access your application to PSOMER from your main dashboard under “Apply > Opportunities.”
For more details on navigating the application, please view the Applicant Guide.
Current University of Chicago Students and Alumni:
- Go to https://uchicago.advisestream.com
- Sign in using your CNetID
A completed application includes the following:
- Submitted and completed online application (to access the online application form,please click the application link above).
Letters of evaluation are required to be sent directly from the writers on organization letterhead. You may choose between the following for letters of evaluation:
- Submit two letters of evaluation from individuals familiar with your interest in medicine or clinical research.
- Submit a composite letter from a Career Counseling Center or Health Professions Advising Office at your undergraduate campus.
- Official transcripts from your undergraduate institutions. Transcripts must be sent directly by your college or university, upon request.