Fourth year medical students who have successfully completed all of their major clerkships and who are from schools accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) may participate in visiting student electives offered at the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. Visiting students may participate in fourth year electives only. Please note that no student will be considered for scheduling until their applications are complete including immunizations with titers.
Most rotations are four weeks long and begin either the first day of the month (unless this day falls on a weekend), or on the first working Monday of the month. All Department of Medicine rotations start on the first day of the month (unless it is a weekend day) or the 16th of the month. Visiting students may stay for up to eight weeks without charge.
PLEASE NOTE: Our course catalogs are not fully updated until March of any academic year. We begin to review applications on April 2, 2018. We will not begin scheduling visiting students until our fourth year lottery is complete which is May 15, 2018.
Any questions or concerns regarding our visiting student program should directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may apply for our courses by utilizing the following:
Allopathic and Osteopathic medical schools:
AAMC Visiting Student Application Service
- Canadian LCME-accredited schools and students from Ben Gurion and Sackler Schools of Medicine: Please email email@example.com for the paper application.
Visiting Student Qualifications
To be eligible to participate in Pritzker School of Medicine Visiting Student Electives, students must:
- Be in their final year of medical school.
- Must have Malpractice Insurance of $1,000,000 per instance and $3,000,000 aggregate. There is NO exception to this.
- Should have successfully completed all prerequisites listed on the application for the desired third year rotations (as per your medical school's requirements) prior to participating in the elective. While we realize that medical school clerkship requirements vary widely from school to school, we use our clerkship requirements as a guideline for consideration of visiting student applicants. Clerkship time flexibility is at the discretion of the departments.
Medicine - 8 weeks
Surgery - 8 weeks
Pediatrics - 6 weeks
OB-GYN - 6 weeks
Psychiatry - 4 weeks
Family Medicine - 4 weeks
Neurology - 4 weeks
- Be English language proficient and able to give oral clinical presentations.
- Students from Canadian and Israeli (Ben Gurion and Sackler only) schools must email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain an application packet. The packet will include a required standardized immunization medical form from AAMC and you must also include your titers (in English) when you submit your application materials. Each student will receive a decision via email once the departments have made their scheduling decisions.