Students interested in participating in the Summer Research Program must apply online between December 5, 2019 - February 6, 2020. Applicants will be notified of acceptance status by Spring Break.
The Pritzker Steering Committee funds feasible student research projects in which the students test a well-defined and scientifically rigorous hypothesis. Research proposals may be rejected or require substantial revision prior to acceptance. Students should access the Summer Research Project Guide to look for interested faculty mentors.
Accepted students must sign up for a research elective during Spring quarter for a minimum of 50 units.
Stipends & Funding
The Summer Research Program has four major funding sources: ; the National Institute on Aging (NIA); the Minority Summer Research Grant from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI); and the Pritzker School of Medicine, along with various other funding sources.
Students are encouraged to select projects in mission related areas for which we have NIH funding (see above). Students whose research projects qualify for this funding will receive the NIH approved stipend level (which is the maximum funding available for this program). Depending on funds available, funding source, and time students allocate, stipends for non-mission related projects will range from $4,000 to $5,000.
Payments are made in two increments over the eleven week summer period. Prior to receiving the first stipend check, students must submit their research references, hypothesis and introduction on the SRP website, and receive mentor validation. The final stipend payment is distributed at the end of the program after the student’s work is submitted and validated by mentor on the SRP website. Students funded by the NHLBI are able to offer research mentors an opportunity for a $550 off-set for student research supplies. Information will be provided to these mentors about these funds.
In order to receive their stipend check, students must meet the following benchmarks:
- Stipend 1 (July 6, 2020 - References, Hypothesis, and Introduction must be uploaded and validated on SRP website and attend all required researsch seminars.
- Stipend 2 (August 28, 2020) - All information (final research report) must be uploaded and validated on the SRP website and attend all required research seminars.
All research mentors are required to contribute $400 in non-federal funds.
Students participating in the Summer Research Program are required to participate in the following components of the Program:
- Cluster Group attendance is mandatory as these meetings are an integral part of the Summer Research Program.
- Attend Required Summer Research Seminars:
- Seminar One: Introduction to Research
- Seminar Two: Preparing Your Written Report
- Seminar Three: Preparing Your SRP Presentation
- Seminar Four: Concluding Assembly
- Submit a Final Report paper detailing their research procedures and evaluation
- Present a seven minute oral presentation at the Summer Research Forum
- Attend Summer Research Program Concluding Assembly
Please see the Program Calendar for deadlines.