Pritzker School of Medicine students run over thirty-five Student Organizations, many of which are service-related. These organizations provide services which range from providing free health services to the homeless, educating school children about the dangers of drug abuse and delivering medical supplies to developing countries.
Pritzker students also play an important role in shaping the direction and leadership of the school by participating in Dean's Council, Curriculum Committees, serving as Fourth Year Leaders, as chairs of Orientation (O-Week) or as representatives on the Admissions Committee.
Starting/Running a Student Organization:
Student organizations are overseen by Dean's Council, the Pritzker School of Medicine's student government. Dean’s Council consists of three to four elected representatives from each class who meet monthly. The Council administers and distributes medical student funds to various student organizations. Elections for the Dean’s Council Representatives are held during the fall term of first year, at which time representatives are elected to a two-year position with the option of re-election during the third year.
Starting a PSOM Student Organization
1. Fill out the Student Organization Registration Form. You will need a faculty sponsor willing to support the student group.
2. Submit the registration form to Dean's Council
3. Give a one time presentation describing your mission and goals to the Dean’s Council at one of the monthly meetings.
3. Upon notification of approval by the Dean’s Council, the newly registered student group may apply for funding from the council (see instructions below).
4. Review the Student Organization Handbook for guidelines on how to organization student events and funding.
PSOM Student Organization Funding
Any medical student organization or student-run activity desiring funding must apply through the Dean's Council.
Dean’s Council Funding Request
Student organizations must be registered PSOM Student Organizations and electronically submit the Funding Application Request by 12 noon on the Thursday prior to the Dean’s Council Meeting at which funds will be requested.
- Dean’s Council Reimbursment Form (PDF)
- Funding Request for Travel to Conferences
- Pritzker Sibs Vouchers
Pritzker School of Medicine student organizations are encouraged to register both with the Dean’s Council and with the Office of the Reynolds Club and Student Activities (ORCSA). ORCSA administers and distributes funds to all University of Chicago registered student organizations. Dean’s Council administers and distributes funds to Pritzker School of Medicine organizations only.
Student Government Finance Committee
Registered Student Organizations may apply for funding through the Student Government Finance Committee. SGFC meets in the Reynolds Club every Tuesday evening & budgets are due every Monday by NOON at the Reynolds Club.
Service-learning opportunities at the Pritzker School of Medicine are done in tandem with the University's larger Urban Health Initiative.