Faculty Advancing in Medical Education (FAME) is a faculty development program sponsored by the Academy of Distinguished Medical Educators and the MERITS Program (Medical Education Research, Innovation, Teaching, and Scholarship). FAME supports faculty educators by providing resources and training in key conceptual and practical skills in teaching and assessment. Launched in 2011, FAME offers faculty development sessions each academic year.
- Enhance faculty members’ knowledge of theory-based education and its practical application.
- Enhance faculty skills in teaching and assessment.
- Improve medical student and resident education.
By the end of the workshops, the faculty will be able to:
- Establish a framework for practically applying workshop topics to their teaching venues.
- Improve specific faculty teaching and/or evaluation skills.
Teaching on the Fly: Teaching clinical skills effectively poses challenges in the clinical setting and limited-time environments. This session will explore strategies for medical educators.
October 17th at 11:45 am - 1:00 pm (Goldblatt H103)
Speakers: Shannon Martin, MD, MS & James Ahn, MD, MHPE, FACEP
December 2023 at TBD
Professionalism: Gain insights into fostering professionalism among students and colleagues.
February 14h at 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm (TBD)
Speakers: Julia Simon, MD
Objective Structured Teaching Encounters (OSTEs): Have the unique opportunity to practice teaching with standardized students in an immersive setting.
April 8th & April 25th at 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm (TBD)
Direct Observation: Learn effective strategies for direct observation in a clinical education.
May 2024 at TBD
Speakers: Nicola Orlov, MD, MPH & H. Barrett Fromme, MD, MHPE
- January 20th & 26th, 2023: Incorporating Small Group Learning
- February 13th, 2023: Evolving Your Lectures: Small Changes for Big Rewards
- March 9th, 2023: Instructional Design: Alignment Presentation with Stacey Zurek, PhD
- March 20th, 2023: Role of Coaching in Developing the Master Adaptive Learner
- April 17th, 2023: Small Learning, Big Impact: Revolutionizing Classroom Learning
- May 9th & 19th, 2023: Coaching in the Moment: A goal-oriented approach to helping your students reach their full potential
- May 10th, 2023: Small Group Learning with Robin Paige, PhD, MS & Anna Volerman, M
- Direct Observation of Learners
- Bringing Allyship to Medical Education and Teaching
- Zoom Teaching Techniques
- Going Beyond Zoom - Platforms, Places, and PowerPoint to Enhance Distance Learning
- Zooming Across Platforms - Using Zoom on Mac, Windows, and iOS
- Shoes First, Then Pants: Writing Effective Goals and Objectives
- Teaching During Telehealth Encounters
- Preparing for Virtual Residency Interviews
- Best Practices for Virtual Interviews
- Advancing Your Mission with Social Media: From Programs to Passions
- Making Feedback a Habit
- Minimizing Bias in Narrative Evaluations