The Physician and Medical Student Professionalism Committee promotes professional standards and behavior across all levels of the University of Chicago Medical Center. Originally formed in 2005, the committee’s work builds on the strong foundation provided from the MacLean Center for Medical Ethics, the nation’s first center for clinical medical ethics. The committee monitors the learning environment for students and residents and serves as a supplementary advisory committeeto the medical center's Committee on Professionalism, Patient Advocacy Reporting System Committee, and Physician Impairment Committees.
In recent years, the Committee has overseen the development of the Peer Role Model Awards, Students' Guiding Principles for Professionalism, and has tackled difficult professionalism issues such as how to teach students and residents about conflict of interest and industry relationships, the interface between professionalism and digital media, and understanding and improving the learning environment for students, residents, and faculty at Pritzker.
The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine created the Peer Role Model Awards in 2009 to encourage the development of professionalism across the spectrum of medical education. Both awards are determined through a peer nomination email survey which are distributed to rising third year students and clinical faculty in May.
Faculty Clinician Peer Role Model Award
The Faculty Clinician Peer Role Model award recognizes the clinician and physician faculty member who best exemplifies the qualities of medical professionalism. These qualities include dedication to serving the interest of the patient and maintaining the highest standards of professional competence and integrity.
- Eligibility The nominee must be a full-time faculty member within the Biological Sciences Division who is an active clinician and physician on the University of Chicago Medical Center staff at the time of nomination and voting.
- Fuad Baroody, MD, Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics (2017)
- Philip Hoffman, MD, Professor of Medicine (2016)
- Ernest Mhoon, MD'73, Professor of Surgery (2015)
- Mindy Schwartz, MD, Professor of Medicine (2015)
- Jerome Klafta, MD, Professor of Anesthesia & Critical Care (2014)
- Anne Hong, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine (2013)
- Joel Schwab, MD, Associate Professor of Pediatrics (2012)
- Peter Angelos, MD, PhD, Professor of Surgery (2011)
- David Cohen, MD, Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology (2010)
P. Allan Klock, Jr., MD, Professor of Anesthesia and Critical Care (2009)
Pre-Clinical Student Peer Role Model Award Winners
This award recognizes the rising third year student who best exemplifies professionalism through his/her compassion, leadership, and dedication to others.
- Riley Brian (2017)
- Colleen Kelly (2016)
- Rachel Stones (2015)
- Caitlin Chicoine (2014)
- Joanna Perdomo (2013)
- Nick Ludmer (2012)
- Katie Raffel (2011)
- Manuel Diaz (2010)
- Minna Chen (2009)
Physician and Medical Student Professionalism Committee
The Physician and Medical Student Professsionalism Committee currently consists of clinical faculty and administrators who are directly involved in medical education or faculty development and have expressed an interest in advancing the goals of professionalism. The committee serves as a supplementary advisory committeeto the UCMC’s Committee on Professionalism, Patient Advisory Reporting System Committee, and Physician Impairment Committees, and monitors the learning environment for students and residents. Faculty, students and residents who are interested in participating in this committee are encouraged to contact the Dean for Medical Education at email@example.com.
- Holly J. Humphrey, MD, Dean for Medical Education
- Vineet Arora, MD, Assistant Dean for Scholarship and Discovery
- Halina Brukner, MD, Associate Dean for Medical School Education
- Kristen Hirsch, Director of Graduate Medical Education
- Rachel Spitz, JD, Associate General Counsel, University of Chicago Medicine
- Michael A. Simon, MD, Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education
- Anita Blanchard, MD, Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education
- Elizabeth Rodriguez, MBA, MS, Manager of Medical Education
- Mark Siegler, MD, Lindy Bergman Distinguished Service Professor, MacLean Center. Clinical Medical Ethics
- Stephen Weber, MD, Chief Medical Officer
- Heather Winn, Assistant Vice President, Academic Affairs, NorthShore University HealthSystem
- James N. Woodruff, MD, Associate Dean of Students