To help guide and prepare students through the process of deciding on a career specialty and applying for residency, the staff at the Pritzker School of Medicine provides students with a comprehensive career development program.
Each fourth-year medical student is assigned to a career advisor who provides one-on-one career mentoring.
The MSPE Director, H. Barrett Fromme, MD, MHPE, is responsible for meeting with all fourth-year students, overseeing the construction of each student’s Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE), and reviewing the MSPE with each student.
Residency Advising Meetings
Class meetings are held throughout the fourth year to answer questions about ERAS and issues of residency.
Are you entering a specialty where an away rotation is recommended? Learn more about away rotations.
Click here for information on away rotations:
Due to the ongoing uncertainty related to the Covid-19 pandemic, all deadlines and information may be subject to change. The University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine Career Advising team will be monitoring and updating information received from AAMC, ERAS, NRMP, and individual programs as they become available. The general advising calendar provides current dates and timelines.
During the 2022 ERAS season, some residency programs in Dermatology, Internal Medicine, and General Surgery will pilot a supplemental ERAS application. Below you will find informational links to help you navigate this new component.
- Programs participating in the supplemental ERAS application
- AAMC Supplemental ERAS Application Guide
- AAMC Supplemental ERAS Application 101 webinar for applicants
- Supplemental ERAS Application FAQs
- Supplemental ERAS Application Info Session (Pritzker)
With any questions you may still have, do not hesitate to reach out to the career advising team at Pritzker.
- MS3 Symposium (3/7/2021): Slide Show
- 2021-2022 Residency Process Book
- MS4 Meeting #1 (6/8/2021) - Residency Application Overview: Presentation Slides
- MS4 Meeting #1 (6/8/2021) - Residency Application Overview: Meeting Minutes
- MS4 Meeting #2 (7/6/2021) - ERAS Overview: Presentation Slides
- MS4 Meeting #2 (7//6/2021) - ERAS Overview: Meeting Minutes
Please note that we will add information from announcements as it is received. This list will not be comprehensive.
University of Chicago Medicine Virtual Residency Showcase - Saturday, September 18, 10:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Register
University of Mississippi Medical Center Internal Medicine Virtual Meet & Greet - Sept. 16, 21, & 23 Register
UAB Residency Programs Virtual Mixer for fourth-year URiM Medical Students - Sept. 17, 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. CT Register
UCLA Olive-View Psychiatry Virtual Info Session + Meet & Greet - Saturday, Sept. 18, 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. CT Register
Cooper University Hospital General Surgery Residency Virtual Open House - Monday, Sept. 20, 5 p.m. CT Register
Indiana University Internal Medicine Residency Virtual Open House - Monday, Sept. 20, 5:30 p.m. CT Register
University of Colorado Diversity in Internal Medicine Virtual Session - Tuesday, Sept. 21, 6:00 - 7:30 CT Register
Baylor College of Medicine Anesthesiology Virtual Open House - Thursday, Sept. 23, 6:00 p.m. CT Register
University of Louisville Emergency Medicine Virtual Applicant Q&A - Thursday, Sept. 23, 3:00 p.m. CT Register
Montefiore Medical Center/Albert Einstein College of Medicine Internal Medicine Virtual Diversity Open House - Thursday, Sept. 23, 5:30 - 6:30 CT Register
UAB Surgical Residency Programs Virtual Mixer for fourth-year URiM Medical Students - Sept. 24, 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. CT Register
LSU Health New Orleans Virtual Residency Showcase for URiM Medical Students - Saturday, Sept. 25, 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. CT Register
Prisma Health (Greenville, SC) General Surgery Residency Virtual Open House - Thursday, Sept. 30, 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. CT Register
University of Arizona Radiology Virtual Symposium - Oct. 2 & 3, 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. CT Register
University of Arizona Emergency Medicine Virtual Meet and Greet - Tuesday, Oct. 5, 8:00 p.m. CT Register
First Meeting with Career Advisor:
Individual 30‐60‐minute meeting with your career advisor to discuss specialty choice and fourth year schedule.
- MSPE Meeting & Advisor Meetings
• Schedule your Medical School Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
meeting with Dr. Fromme
• Continue to meet with your Career Advisor to finalize specialty choice
and develop an application strategy
• Meet with your specialty advisor to discuss program selection
• Work on your personal statement and CV
• Ask for LORs
Prepare your residency application
- Personal Statement Check‐In with Career Advisor
• Review and finalize your personal statement with your Career
Advisor’s input (can be done over email)
Optional Workshop: Optimizing Your Personal Statement
- MS4 Class Meeting #1: Residency Application Overview
• Review the timeline for the residency application process
Learn details and strategy for assembling your application
- MS4 Class Meeting #2: ERAS Overview
• Learn the logistics of applying for residencies via the Electronic
Residency Application System (ERAS)
- Program List Meeting with Career Advisor
• Schedule a 30‐minute meeting with your Career Advisor to review
your program list for depth and breadth
• Practice interview strategies
MS4 Class Meeting #3: Interviewing for Residency
- Learn tips from UCM Program Directors on how to interview successfully
- Learn about the Alumni Residency Hosting Program
Deadline to take Step 2 CK
Rank List Meeting with Career Advisor
• Schedule a 30‐minute meeting with your Career Advisor to discuss strategies for finalizing your rank list.
MS4 Class Meeting #4: Preparing Your Rank List
• Learn how to enter your rank list and strategies for finalizing it
Submit your Rank List by 8 pm CST
The timeline for ophthalmology (SF Match), urology (AUA Match) and the military match closely follow the timeline for the regular match above, except for a few key differences noted below.
- Target date for completing early match applications.
Interview & Decide Your Rank Order
- Accept interviews quickly
- Meet with your career advisor after you're done interviewing to discuss how to rank your programs
- November 6th - All Urology program interview offers extended (must accept or decline by Monday, 11/9)
- Deadlines for submitting SF Match and AUA rank lists
- Notification of match results
- January 12, 2021 - AUA rank list deadline
- January 25, 2021 – San Francisco Match (ophthalmology rank list deadline)
Want to save money on your residency interview trips? Looking to make alumni connections where you might be living next year? The HOST program matches you with Pritzker alumni during your residency interviews.
A member from the Medical & Biological Sciences Alumni Association will email you throughout the process and update you on alumni availability. All requests must be made no later than two weeks prior to the requested host date. This will increase your chances of having an alumni host.
Though alumni hosts cannot be guaranteed in every city, we encourage students to submit requests in all geographic areas. Be aware it can take several days or weeks to locate a host for your stay.
If you have any further questions, please contact the alumni office directly at email@example.com or 888-303-0030.
Get discounts on airfare, car rental, and hotels here.
Note: The 2021 Residency Interview process will be managed entirely through remote interviews.