To help guide and prepare students through the process of deciding on a career specialty and applying for residency, the staff at the Pritzker School of Medicine provides students with a comprehensive career development program.
Each fourth-year medical student is assigned to a career advisor who provides one-on-one career mentoring.
The MSPE Director, H. Barrett Fromme, MD, MHPE, is responsible for meeting with all fourth-year students, overseeing the construction of each student’s Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE), and reviewing the MSPE with each student.
Residency Advising Meetings
Class meetings are held throughout the fourth year to answer questions about ERAS and issues of residency.
Are you entering a specialty where an away rotation is recommended? Learn more about away rotations.
- Specialty Response to COVID-19
- ERAS - Electronic Residency Application Service
- NRMP - National Resident Matching Program
- AUA Match
- SF Match
- Info on the EM Standardized Video Interview
- AAMC Careers in Medicine
- FREIDA (Fellowship and Residency Electronic Interactive Database)
- Career MD
- Charting Outcomes in the Match 2018
- AAMC Roadmap to Residency
- NRMP Residency Explorer
- 2019 AAMC Report on Residents
- MS3 Symposium (4/13/20): Applying to Residency Slide Show
- MS3 Symposium (4/13/20): The 2020-21 Residency Process Book
- MS4 Meeting 1 (8/3/2020): Agenda
- MS4 Meeting 1 (8/3/2020): Slide Show
- MS4 Meeting 1 (8/3/2020): Minutes
- MS4 Meeting 2 (9/26/19): Agenda
- MS4 Meeting 2 (9/26/19): Slide Show
- MS4 Meeting 2 (9/26/19): Minutes and PD Panel Discussion
- Dr. Woodruff's Tips for Interviewing
Plan for the Residency Process
- MS3 Class Meeting
- Sign up for the Senior Scientific Session
- Visit the Graduation page & book hotel rooms
- Schedule an MSPE Appointment with H. Barrett Fromme, MD, MHP
- Meet with a career advisor to determine career and specialty choice
- Explore specialty web resources
- Sign up for USMLE Step 2 Exam
- Edit your CV
- Schedule an MSPE Appointment with H. Barrett Fromme, MD, MHPE
- Begin contacting faculty for letters of recommendation
- ERAS tokens are distributed
- October 21, 2020: MSPEs (Dean's Letters) are released
- October 21, 2020: Residency programs may begin reviewing applications
- Pritzker's deadline for students to take USMLE CK exam
- Accept interviews quickly within 1-2 days
- Applicant Registration deadline at NRMP
- Meet with your career advisor after you are done interviewing to discuss how to rank your programs
- Determine your rank order list
- Apply online to graduate
- Review your transcript for accuracy and contact Maureen Okonski with any concerns
- February 1, 2021: Rank order list entry begins via the NRMP
- Applicants and programs may begin entering their rank order lists at 11:00 am CST
- Fill out the AAMC Graduation Questionnaire. Pritzker has historically had an over 90% response rate multiple years in a row.
- March 3, 2021: NRMP rank order list certification deadline
- March 15-19, 2021: Match Week!
- MATCH DAY!!!
The timeline for ophthalmology (SF Match), urology (AUA Match) and the military match closely follow the timeline for the regular match above, except for a few key differences noted below.
- Target date for completing early match applications.
Interview & Decide Your Rank Order
- Accept interviews quickly
- Participate in the Alumni Office's Interview Hosting Program with a Pritzker graduate
- Meet with your career advisor after you're done interviewing to discuss how to rank your programs
- Deadlines for submitting SF Match and AUA rank lists
- Notification of match results
Want to save money on your residency interview trips? Looking to make alumni connections where you might be living next year? The HOST program matches you with Pritzker alumni during your residency interviews.
A member from the Medical & Biological Sciences Alumni Association will email you throughout the process and update you on alumni availability. All requests must be made no later than two weeks prior to the requested host date. This will increase your chances of having an alumni host.
Though alumni hosts cannot be guaranteed in every city, we encourage students to submit requests in all geographic areas. Be aware it can take several days or weeks to locate a host for your stay.
If you have any further questions, please contact the alumni office directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 888-303-0030.
Get discounts on airfare, car rental, and hotels here.